Overview: City Council elections are held on the first Saturday in May every year. The Mayor, Place 2 and Place 4 are in even years and Places 1, 3 and 5 are in odd numbered years. The Mayor and Council Members are "At-Large by Place" and elected for two-year terms with no term limits. More Election information can be found at the Texas Secretary of State’s Election Division website.
Información de elección - La versión española disponible sobre la petición.
GENERAL ELECTION on May 6, 2023
The next General Election will be on Saturday, May 6, 2023 for Places 1, 3, and 5. Filing for a place on the ballot is set by State statute and will run from January 18 - February 17, 2023.
The May 6, 2023 General Election Internet Posting Requirements for Political Subdivisions may be viewed here.
A complete 2023 General Election Application Packet may be viewed here. Once you have submitted an application for a place on the ballot or declared as a write-in candidate, the City Secretary will provide a link to the Candidate Packet.
To register to vote, find upcoming election dates, and answers to Frequently Asked Questions, please visit the Texas Secretary of State's special voter page, VoteTexas.gov. Find additional election-related dates and information at https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/index.shtml (posted in accordance with TX. Legis. H.B. 305, effective September 1, 2019).
The following candidates have filed for a place on the May 6, 2023 ballot:
|Place 1||Place 3||Place 5|
|James Vaughan||Beth South|
Election Notices and General Information:
- Notice of Filing Deadlines for May 6, 2023 General Election (PDF)
- Ordinance Calling General Election for May 6, 2023 (PDF)
- Notice of Voting Order Priority (PDF)
- Notice of Required Identification (PDF) - English / Spanish
- First Steps for Candidates Running for a City Office (PDF)
Qualifications for Candidates:
- shall be at least 18 years of age upon the commencement of the term to be filled at the election;
- shall be a citizen of the United States;
- shall be a qualified voter of the City of West Lake Hills;
- shall be a resident of the State of Texas for at least twelve (12) consecutive months, as of the deadline for filing for the office;
- shall have been a resident of the City of West Lake Hills for a period of not less than twelve (12) months immediately preceding the election;
- shall not have been deemed mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court;
- shall meet the qualifications for eligibility as set forth in the Texas Election Code; and
- shall not have been convicted of a felony for which he/she has not been pardoned or had his/her civil rights restored by other official action. Texas Election Code §141.001
Current City Council Members:
|Mayor||Linda Anthonyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Term expires 05/2024|
|Council Place 1||James Vaughanemail@example.com||Term expires 05/2023|
|Council Place 2||Brian Plunkettfirstname.lastname@example.org||Term expires 05/2024|
|Council Place 3||Beth Southemail@example.com||Term expires 05/2023|
|Council Place 4||Darin Walkerfirstname.lastname@example.org||Term expires 05/2024|
|Council Place 5||Gordon Bowmanemail@example.com||Term expires 05/2023|
Voting Rosters and Results for Election on May 6, 2023:
Daily voting rosters and results will be posted here as they are available.
Election Division Contact Information
Questions/comments regarding City elections should be directed to the City Secretary's Office: West Lake Hills City Hall, 911 Westlake Drive, West Lake Hills, Texas 78746; by phone at (512) 610-6821; or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bond or Sales Tax Elections
Bond or sales tax elections are held on either the first Saturday in May or on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. No bond or sales tax election is being planned at this time.